Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Virtual Schools

This week in our grad school class we are talking about "virtual schools." We watched a video on one such program and were asked to comment on our thoughts.

I think that Virtual Schools provide an amazing opportunity for parents who would choose that route over brick and mortar schools. I appreciate how the introduction of new technologies allows more interaction (virtually) between students and teachers or each other, but I am not convinced that this route is more beneficial than a brick and mortar classroom.

I think the idea of supplementing the traditional education with virtual learning opportunities combines the best of both worlds and keeps students from being at a disadvantage from any of their peers.

I also like the idea of using virtual schools as a way for students to take advanced courses that may not otherwise be available.

So, those are my thoughts. I am not sold on Virtual as the only way, but do see the benefits of combining it with the tradtional.

3 comments:

  1. I agree with you on the point that virtual classrooms should be supplemental if not optional, particularly for advanced courses. I think moderation is the way to go for virtual and traditional classrooms (or "blend").

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also agree with combining virtual with traditional schooling. Especially at the elementary through high school levels students need time with other students their age and hands on opportunities for learning.

    ReplyDelete